Introduction to JPIC Formaldehyde Emission Grades
Formaldehyde is a colorless gas which is hazardous to health. Japan has one of the strictest Formaldehyde Emission standards in the world . JAS JPIC Standard use a four-star system to indicate the Formaldehyde Emission Grades for plywood, Blockboard, MDF, hardboard, furniture and other wooden boards.
JAS lists the Formaldehyde Emission grades in JIS A 1460 (2005) Building Boards Determination of formaldehyde emission – Desicator method / JAS JPIC-EW.SE00-01 / Notification No. 1751 2008 Japanese Agricultural Standard for Plywood and some other standards for other wooden products.
Japanese Formaldehyde Emission Grades (mg/L)
Grades (Rating) Average Value Max. Value
F☆☆☆☆ 0.3mg/L 0.4mg/L
F☆☆☆ 0.5mg/L 0.7mg/L
F☆☆ 1.5mg/L 2.1mg/L
F☆ 5.0mg/L 7.0mg/L
Note: These values are achieved through Desiccator Test .
If a structural plywood is rated F☆☆☆☆, the plywood has the lowest Formaldehyde Emission value . F☆ Plywood has highest Formaldehyde Emission value . The more stars the wooden product is rated, the less amount of formaldehyde it emits.
Expression of Formaldehyde Emission Grades
F☆☆☆☆ is also expressed as F****, F 4-stars, F four-stars, or F4
F☆☆☆ is also expressed as F***, F3 star, F three-stars or F3
F☆☆ is also expressed as F**, F2 star, F two-stars or F2
F☆ is also expressed as F*, F1 star, F one-star or F1 .
Usage of Formaldehyde Emission Grades
All plywood, fiberboard, wooden boards and other wooden products should be marked with their Formaldehyde Emission Grades. Wooden products with different Formaldehyde Emission Grades have different usage .
For example, according to these standards, F4 plywood can be used interior without limitations . F3, F2 plywood can be used interior with some limitations. F1 plywood is not allowed to be used interior .
- What’s E0 Grade For Formaldehyde Emission of Wood Based Panels ? E0 are the Formaldehyde Emission standards for MDF, HDF, Particleboard, OSB, plywood, veneered plywood, blockboard, melamine faced board, floor.
- Australian Plywood Standards The list of all of Australian Plywood Standards.
- Plywood Grade (2-1) – Russian Birch Plywood Standard ( INTERGOVERNMENTAL STANDARD GOST 3916.1-96 – Plywood With Outer Layers Of Deciduous Veneer For General Use) When produce or trade birch plywood (especially baltic birch plywood), people like to use Russian Plywood Standard - INTERGOVERNMENTAL STANDARD (GOST). There are several versions of GOST […]
- Hardwood film faced plywood Film faced plywood, hardwood core, Dynea or Stora Enso brown color film / imported film, A/A grade,WBP glue, Size: 1220X2440mm, 1250X2500mm,625X2500mm,1500X3000mm, Thickness: […]
- Birch Film Faced Plywood Film faced plywood, birch core, Dynea or Stora Enso brown color film / imported film, A/A grade,WBP glue, Size: 1220X2440mm, 1250X2500mm,625X2500mm,1500X3000mm, Thickness: […]